Updated: Jun 18
Supplements worth buying part 3
Our bodies are able to produce Vitamin D when we are directly exposed to sunlight, without using sunscreens.
Unfortunately in Ireland we don’t get enough sun exposure and many of us can be deficient in Vit D. To be sure if you are low in Vit D a blood test is needed to determine that.
Vitamin D is important for calcium absorption, immune system function, for growth and development of teeth and bones.
Vitamin D may hep to regulate mood and reduce depression.
Foods containing vitamin D:
- Egg yolk
- Beef liver
- Fortified milk , yogurt, orange juice
- Cod liver oil
It may be hard to get enough Vitamin D from foods alone so it may be a good idea to ask your GP for a blood test and supplement with Vitamin D. Just remember that it’s a fat soluble vitamin and it need to be taken with a meal containing fat.
It’s crucial for the proper functioning of your brain and body.
Magnesium is involved in hundreds reaction in your body:
- Energy production – converting food into energy
- Protein formation – creating new protein
- Muscle movement – contraction and relaxation
- Nervous system regulation- regulating neurotransmitters
- Gene maintenance – helping to repair, create new DNA and RNA
Around 60% of magnesium is stored in our bones so as you can see its important for your skeletal health.
Other health benefits of magnesium:
- High magnesium diets may be linked to lower risk of type 2 diabetes. Magnesium plays an important role in glucose control and insulin metabolism
- It may play an important role in hearth health
- Diets higher in magnesium may help prevent or relieve headaches. Magnesium levels in a person with migraines may be low
- Magnesium may help with the absorption of Vit D
Many foods are fortified with magnesium. Nuts and seeds are high in magnesium, also dark green vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
It’s always best to get you vitamins and minerals from foods than from supplements because nutrients work better when combined with other nutrients. Many vitamins and minerals work synergistically which brings more benefits than taking them separately.
PS. No, coffee does not “flush” out magnesium😊.
All the best